Are you ever too old for orthodontic treatment?
Not at all! Orthodontic treatment can be successful at any age, and adults especially appreciate the benefits of a beautiful smile. One of every five patients in orthodontic treatment is over 21.
Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart
- Orthodontic preparation for other dental work
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
- Prevent further worsening of current dental issues – straight teeth are healthy teeth!
Treatment Options for Adults
Orthodontic treatment doesn't necessarily mean silver braces. Today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, esthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Treatment types include:
- Clear Aligners (Invisalign, 3M™ Clarity™)
- Ceramic Braces
- Traditional Braces
- Lingual (Hidden behind the teeth) Braces
ADULT TREATMENT VS ORTHODONTICS FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS:
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which can make orthognathic surgery a possible option to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease. Some adults may need periodontal treatment before receiving orthodontic treatment
- Worn or missing teeth — Missing or broken down teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment.
Come to our office to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile you’ve always wanted!
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.